Sunday, March 9, 2014

Asia - Gravitas


Asia - Gravitas (2014) Frontiers Records
Produced by John Wetton / Geoff Downes
PROGRESSIVE ROCK
Tracks : 1.Valkyrie 2.Gravitas 3.The closer I get 4.Nyctophobia 5.Russian dolls 6.Heaven help me 7.I would die for you 8.Joe DiMaggio´s glove 9.Till we meet again
www.originalasia.com
3,5 out of 5

Without Steve Howe in Asia, who left in 2013 to focus on Yes, this supergroup´s new album "Gravitas" sounds more like a mix between their 1985 album "Astra" with Mandy Meyer on guitar and Wetton/Downes Icon albums.
The music is even more keyboard oriented leaving less room for new guitarist Sam Coulson, you can clearly hear that Wetton and Downes are in charge here.
Asia fans won´t be disappointed over the new album because it´s very pompous and Wetton sings as great as ever, I also welcome the Supertramp-like piano in "Nyctophobia". Very charming.
Highlights : Valkyrie, The closer I get, Russian dolls, Joe DiMaggio´s glove

No comments: