Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Rick Springfield - Songs for the end of the world

Rick Springfield - Songs for the end of the world (2012) Frontiers Records
Produced by Rick Springfield
MELODIC ROCK
Tracks : 1.Wide awake 2.Our ship´s sinking 3.I hate myself 4.You and me 5.Gabriel 6.A sign of life 7.My last heartbeat 8.Joshua 9.Love screws me up 10.I found you 11.Depravity 12.One way street
www.rickspringfield.com
4,5 out of 5

I just gotta start with this opening phrase, "Songs for the end of the world" is Rick´s best album since "Rock of life" from 1988. The 63 year old rocker shows he can still rock and deliver a load of upbeat melodic rock tracks that will please every fan of his 80´s albums "Working class dog" and "Living in Oz". The new album is also one of his most rocking records and I´m truly glad to see his old friend Tim Pierce on guitar again, it´s actually the first time Tim perform on a Rick album since "Karma" (1999). Lately, Rick has written the autobiography "Late, late at night" (2010) and also recorded a cover of Paul McCartney´s "Jet". Although, I really loved his 2008 album "Venus in overdrive", I think "Songs for the end of the world" is much stronger. The opening track "Wide awake" is Rick in finest form and "Our ship´s sinking" sounds like a given hit on radio, the single "I hate myself" could´ve been an outtake from "Shock, Denial, Anger, Acceptance" (2004) but way better. "Love screws me up" flirts with Bon Jovi and the working class rock of "Joshua" is one of my personal faves on the album. This is classy!

No comments: